Name:
Location: one hour from Suffolk, Rockingham, and Scarborough, United States

I'm one of the co-authors of Point of Hopes, Point of Dreams, and The Armor of Light (which, contrary to some reviews is NOT a Points novel). Proud member of CoastLine SF, Piscataqua Obedience Club, and admin for Horseboard.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

So there I was...

...Feeling awfully darned sorry for myself. How come? Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin. ;-)

As the whole world probably knows by know, a few weeks ago I tumped over and hit my head on the corner of the dresser. The "corner" is important, it gains me extra sympathy points. That knock on the noggin (did you know that Scott Hamilton -- I don't know who that Scott Hilton guy the spell check wanted me to write about -- referred to his brain tumor as his "noggin nugget?") seems to have exacerbated something that's been coming... me being pathetically out of shape! My left leg has become numb, down to my foot. I'm currently using a cane to walk, just to keep me from tumping over again. My butt hurts (as my therapist's first client referred to it, my "butticle," which is a fabulous word!). My leg feels like it's asleep, alternately super heavy, or filled with helium. My foot, especially my left foot, feels like I'm stepping on something wicked uneven. I haven't been sleeping well. The Olympics are over. The Red Sox are playing like crap in Florida....

WAAAAHHHHH! Poor me.

Ok, a little self pity is fine, but I need to snap out of this, and events/things keep hurtling my way (stop that, I don't move quickly these days) to remind me not to be silly.

Case in point 1. Jeff's note to me, telling me that the numbness and pain in the butticle are very familiar to him from when he had his problems with the sciatic nerve. And this without my really describing to him what I'm feeling. Kind of like testing a psychic.

Point 2. Sciatic nerve -- inflamed -- is just what George the PT said we were dealing with. NOT CANCER.

Point 3. Jeff reiterates that he is very familiar with what I'm feeling/dealing with right now. Which is NOT CANCER.

Point 4. I'm sitting on the sofa this past Saturday, why I don't know since it is the least comfortable place in the house for me to sit, when we hear the mailman on the front porch and setting something inside the storm door. Melissa goes out to see what it was, and comes back, holding out to me a big envelope with the return address of Cavalia -- a show I have had a draft for a blog about for ages. We were given tickets as a birthday present from my sister, and a limo ride to Boston, from my other sister. I was frankly blown away by the show. I wrote the company. I told them that before I had seen the show I had been facing the possibility of whole brain radiation, but an MRI right after the show suggested I didn't need to do that. (Well, we all know how THAT turned out!)

In the envelope was a gorgeous Cavalia 2006 calendar, signed by Magali Delgado and Frédéric Pignon, with a letter from their home office, apologizing for the tardiness of the note and saying how touched they were -- they had shared it with the entire company and the founder. What a lovely, lovely thing! Made me alternately sniffle and smile the rest of the day.

Point 5. The regular mail the same day brought a wonderful card from my friend Patrish, who has been so concerned and caring all through this. I remember Jeff saying Patrish and Ed are the only couple he knows of, married as long as they have been who still hold hands. In the wake of my tumping over adventure, I guess Patrish mentioned this to Ed, who said, "Well, do you want to hold hands, or fall on your ass?" I have never yet met them, face to face -- when I do, it will be one of the high points of the summer.

Point 6. Melissa looked at me and said, "I'm bored. I'm going to make you another hat." It is _green_, damn it, the green of fresh and growing plants and flowers and stuff. And yesterday, while getting fish for dinner, she stopped in the yarn store (how did I see THAT coming?) and picked up 2 gorgeous skeins of yarn for yet another hat. This one will be purple. I told her I had enough blue.

Point 7. I was at one of the printers this morning; it was not doing what I needed it to do. The VP of our company, our boss here, comes up the stairs and asks me how I'm doing. I sort of shrug and mutter something, and she immediately says, "I'll come see you later," And she does, and listens to me explain about my leg and how frustrating it is. She asked good questions and was as supportive as a boss -- but more importantly, as a friend -- could be.

Point 8. I got a message from Patrish. She can't wait to meet us at Saratoga so she can give me a big Mom hug that will last me til we can meet face to face again.

Point 9. Cheers and check-ins from Rambler in Ottawa.

Point 10. Jeff reminding me not to strangle George.

So somebody please tell me what I'm complaining about? (Ok, that VW ad is pretty annoying.)

1 Comments:

Blogger Dale said...

Hi Lisa,

You go ahead and complain! To me it sounds more like you are wonderfully atuned to your surroundings and confident that your friends care enough to read, listen, and respond.

I agree with Point#3. I spend way too much time sitting, which typically results in leg or foot pain. Then again, when Val and I exercise it just makes everything else hurt...so either way something hurts! Growing old just stinks!!!

--Dale

7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home