Name:
Location: one hour from Suffolk, Rockingham, and Scarborough, United States

I'm one of the co-authors of Point of Hopes, Point of Dreams, and The Armor of Light (which, contrary to some reviews is NOT a Points novel). Proud member of CoastLine SF, Piscataqua Obedience Club, and admin for Horseboard.

Saturday, January 07, 2006

Off the Decadron!

I had my biweekly (I mean every two weeks, not twice a week) check-up with my medical oncologist yesterday. I had been down to 2 mg of decadron, once a day. And anyone who has been on decadron will tell you, even that is too much. He was pleased enough with what he saw and what the blood work said that he took me off it completely! I have been taking it since mid-November. And right before Thanksgiving, I went up to a high dose of 4 mg four times a day. It's a good thing I lost so much weight following surgery this summer... my face is quite puffy (of course), and I don't currently have any hair to, um, disguise it. Though I have to say, I think I look quite kick-ass bald. It really doesn't bother me, being bald, except when I'm walking the dog in the morning and the windchill is 6 degrees! Yes, I'm wearing a hat, let me tell you, it doesn't always help!

But Dr. Bonnem also said that I don't have to come back for three weeks this time -- nor do I need to have blood work done! That last is especially welcome -- I would think for the phlebotomists -- since my veins are terrible. I'm a challenge, let's say. It's a good thing I don't mind needles, nor am especially queasy about blood... oops, sorry if you are.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dale said...

Great news!! I will say special prayers for your hair to grow back quickly...though I am sure you are just as adorable bald. Having been there, I can asure you that hair is completely over rated...it is all in the accessories! Have you tired any nutritional supplements like Kyo-green or green vibrance? Those helped me bounce back after treatments. Keep up that great attitude and wonderful spirit...and keep blogging!!

Dale

8:01 AM  
Anonymous Wendy said...

I found your blog doing a seach for Dr. Andy Singh. I met him this week, and was impressed, and like him (We happened to grow up a few miles apart in CA) What a great guy!
I hope your hair grows back quickly. If you'd like a thicker, warmer hat, I'd be honored to knit one for you!

12:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Huzzah! What a nice start to the year.

Jude

4:51 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Hi, Wendy -- Dr. Singh is outstanding. And I promise, when he sees me next week, he's going to find _me_ healthy, too! :-)

Thanks for the hat offer! If Melissa doesn't stop making these elegant little hats... Though to be fair, she is making me a warm looking, full-head covering hat -- and out of bamboo yarn.

Hmmm, I may be in touch. ;-)

Jude, it's so nice to hear from you again! Thanks for your good wishes and support.

Dale, I agree. And anyway, hair itself IS an accessory. I'm darned cute bald. Especially now that some of the steroid puffiness is leaving my face (well, some of that could have been the Oreos. Don't tell Val -- Kyo-green they're not, LOL).

Hugs to that cutie, Tucker.

5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home