Name:
Location: one hour from Suffolk, Rockingham, and Scarborough, United States

I'm one of the co-authors of Point of Hopes, Point of Dreams, and The Armor of Light (which, contrary to some reviews is NOT a Points novel). Proud member of CoastLine SF, Piscataqua Obedience Club, and admin for Horseboard.

Friday, September 09, 2005

Well, damn it all.

I had a follow-up with Dr. Hartford, my radiation oncologist up at Dartmouth yesterday, and he told me that initial report of a meningioma was incorrect. What they removed was 90% scar tissue, but at the heart of it all was tumor.

Given that, and the presence of tumor cells in the cerebral spinal fluid, he's thinking we need to consider whole brain radiation. Not fun to think about. And he wants to do it ASAP. Which means before Provincetown. WBR, like any radiation, leaves one fatigued. It also leaves one (a) bald and (b) with a burn on the scalp. I have been assured, up hill and down dale, that it is nothing like the burn I got from chest radiation, and I do hope that's true. I don't mind going to P'town with no hair, it's a badge of honor, as far as I'm concerned. But I don't want to go there if I feel the way I did in May of 2004, which was really physically weak and tired. I need to talk to Melissa, and to Robert & Ken, after we talk with a wide range of doctors -- Hartford, Bonnem, Singh, anyone else who might ought to be part of the equation.

3 Comments:

Blogger Linde said...

Hi, Lisa,
you might want to check with some folks who do neuropsychology, and folks who've gone through irradiation of the whole brain (a.k.a. head, I presume), since it can have some other entailments, like dizziness, impaired circadian rhythms, thrush, and possibly other endocrine disruption. I'd recommend Dr. Wendy Heller at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, clinical neuropsychologist, and (probably) fan (I think I turned her on to Melissa; don't know if I recommended the Points series, but she may know it anyway). I'm bummed your having to go through this -- don't know you, but your writing is great! For right now I live in Sedona, AZ, and, since this is the New Age mecca of the U.S. I think I can get away with sending healing energy your way!

best,
Linde Brocato

10:48 PM  
Blogger Google Page Rank 6 said...

Increase your Adsense Earnings

I noticed you have adsense ads on your page, Would you like to increase your earnings from them, Free and Legitimate way to make your clicks increase.
Come see my Blogger blog and it will tell you more.

4:07 AM  
Blogger jiqUDnQg said...

Hi,
You have a neat blog here. I have a site on Sedona that you may be interested in linking to.

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home