Name:
Location: one hour from Suffolk, Rockingham, and Scarborough, United States

I'm one of the co-authors of Point of Hopes, Point of Dreams, and The Armor of Light (which, contrary to some reviews is NOT a Points novel). Proud member of CoastLine SF, Piscataqua Obedience Club, and admin for Horseboard.

Thursday, February 17, 2005

Hairy Tales

Blogs can become some (literally) twisted life form, curling in and around themselves, commenting on one another, one blog entry inspiring another, which sends another blogger to the keyboard...

Danny just commented on his friend Tamar's entry about hair. Danny wrote about baldness. My take on baldness is that everyone should try it. Sure, I didn't want to, but I also didn't choose to wear wigs. And I can look at the photos of me without hair, and not cringe. I have a pretty darned decent looking head! The hardest part was the lack on insulation. It was cold in the winter (and spring), and in the summer, whenever I wore a baseball cap, it was hotter than it would have been with that cushioning air-pocket of hair. And, as my friend and hairdresser Larry pointed out, raindrops can _hurt_ without that cushion!

(If I can figure out how to post photos here without having to house them on some public site, I will post one of me in my hairless mode. It's very... Midnight Oil-ish.)

The acid test is would I do it again. (Well, sure, if I had to!) Because of the cold, sunburn and raindrops keep falling on my head elements, probably not.
Aesthetically, though... If I weren't a wimp about those other factors, I just might!

One of my favorite episodes of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy (I don't even want to talk about Queer Eye for the Straight Gal, or Girl, or whatever the heck it is) was the one about Richard, who, at the urging of the Fab 5, especially grooming guru Kyan, ditched his toupee and went for the bald look. My goodness, the gentleman looked fantastic! Sharp, sophisticated and so much more confident. Less is more! And a lot less is a lot more!

My concern about this blog entry is that Danny is now going to think, "Oy, I'm complaining about being bald when Lisa was bald because of chemo?" Danny, DON'T, please! Because then you'll incite my old Catholic guilt that I should have made you feel guilty so I should just shut up... Even recovering Catholics retain that facility for guilt, I'm sorry to say!

12 Comments:

Blogger Danny said...

Believe it or not, Lisa, I wasn't feeling any guilt for once--I was too excited that you were joining the hair blogging fray! This is what I love about the blogosphere, how these ideas spread like some kind of virtual water cooler conversation: from Nappy40 to Tamar to me to you! So cool.

You DO have the coolest shaped head, I thought you looked fabulous bald. Oy, and I saw that "Queer Eye" episode and almost brought it up in my post but didn't because I thought I was sounding way too gay as it was--can you believe I was actually trying to modulate that, as if I'd ever be able to pull off sounding "butch" (another future blog entry)? I thought Kyan was so great in that show, I think I cried through it. So sensitive and kind the way he helped Richard realize that he really was better off just accepting himself and his baldness! And of course he DID look so much better as soon as he stopped trying to hide it.

Do you think it's even harder to be bald in the gay male community since the stereotype is an obsession on looks and youth? On the other hand, I'm sure it's mostly straight guys who support the anti-baldness industry...

10:52 PM  
Blogger Tamar said...

What a discussion this has become. Ain't humankind grand!

7:06 AM  
Blogger nappy40 said...

"And of course he DID look so much better as soon as he stopped trying to hide it."

That would apply to so many of us.

1:39 PM  
Blogger Toni said...

Greetings Lisa from sunny England……..lol. Surfing around I spotted your this post blog, I guessed there would be lot’s to interest me as I’m very interested in going bald, and of cause I’m not disappointed – thanks for that.I’m just putting together my own site going bald so like a lot of people am quite busy at the moment. See you again!

8:32 AM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Hi, just a quick post as I’m short of time but thought I must congratulate you on your interesting this post blog. I’m just finishing of my site hair thinning and hope that it will eventually be as professional as yours. I’m still coming across typo’s I’ve made – I think my spell checker must be faulty……….lol
Anyway Lisa, thanks again and see you again when I’m in less of a rush.

5:11 AM  
Blogger Toni said...

Hi, I was looking though some recommended sites and came across your this post blog. I’m very pleased I did, I found it an interesting read as I’m putting together a site myself at baldness for obvious reasons……….lol. I’ve booked marked you so look forward to posting a bit more next visit.

12:23 PM  
Blogger Toni said...

Hi, I was looking though some recommended sites and came across your this post blog. I’m very pleased I did, I found it an interesting read as I’m putting together a site myself at going bald for obvious reasons……….lol. I’ve booked marked you so look forward to posting a bit more next visit.

12:53 PM  
Blogger Toni said...

Hi, I was looking though some recommended sites and came across your this post blog. I’m very pleased I did, I found it an interesting read as I’m putting together a site myself at baldness for obvious reasons……….lol. I’ve booked marked you so look forward to posting a bit more next visit.

3:40 AM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Hi, I was looking though some recommended sites and came across your this post blog. I’m very pleased I did, I found it an interesting read as I’m putting together a site myself at hair thinning for obvious reasons……….lol. I’ve booked marked you so look forward to posting a bit more next visit.

4:09 AM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Hi Lisa, your this post blog came up when I was looking for info on going bald for a family member. He was impressed with your blog and has started his own site at going bald, thanks for the inspiration that you have provided.

5:08 AM  
Anonymous hair transplants said...

Hi Lisa, I read your post which I find interesting and very informative! I was also looking for related info which I found
Some at baldness
It's not exactly what I was looking for but it was nonetheless interesting to read.

12:47 PM  
Anonymous how to keep baseball stats said...

Thanks to this post for creating a user friendly blog when we can all learn more about major league baseball stats from Lisa. This is a great place to start from the novice to the expert and as this site grows, we can only benefit from content about major league baseball stats and other realted topics.

12:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home