Name:
Location: one hour from Suffolk, Rockingham, and Scarborough, United States

I'm one of the co-authors of Point of Hopes, Point of Dreams, and The Armor of Light (which, contrary to some reviews is NOT a Points novel). Proud member of CoastLine SF, Piscataqua Obedience Club, and admin for Horseboard.

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Being Bilingual

I'm more or less resigned to being a second class citizen. (We won't talk about marriage issues... yet.) By day I work on a PC. By night, I work on a Mac. And for all their protests that most of the Blogger staff use Macs, well, those protests obviously don't register with the suits. The Mac version of Blogger is very bare bones indeed. No nifty little shortcuts or tags for inserting links or emphasizing text. Nope, it's raw HTML or nuthin'. And I'm not working on some six year old Bondi Blue iMac (not for the past two weeks, at least), I'm working on a spiffy new, sleek, elegant, powerful sexy iMac G5. The latest available version of IE for Macs. All frightfully up to date, contemporarily, as Flanders and Swann would say.

I used to be quite fluent in raw HTML. But it got so easy using WYSIWYG editors and the like. Those muscles got lazy. So I'll write and publish my blog entries from my Mac, but if they need any enhancement -- links, italics, and the like -- I find a PC and go in and add those nifty tags.

I'm bilingual. I speak Windows and Mac. I even still speak un peu HTML. But Blogger, stubbornly, like the province of Quebec or English Only advocates in this country, has its one language and is sticking to it.

Maybe I should emigrate?

Don't get me wrong, I love the simplicity of Blogger. I love the elegance of the available templates. I love the fact that it's free. And in a way, I do like the fact that all the bells and whistles are unavailable to me on my spiffy new iMac, because it forces me to be less fru-fru (alternate spelling: frou-frou, according to my friend Richard) in my formatting.

Speaking of Macs, I think Steve Jobs is brilliant (I'm sure he's relieved to have my validation). There was talk that any attempt by Apple to introduce a sub $500 Mac could cannibalize their higher end machines (thank you, like the one I just bought) and would throw them into a market fray they are not best equipped to handle. But what Jobs introduced was not a cheaper Mac -- it is the Mini Mac. Jobs understands that computers are not just hardware and ones and zeroes, but are also about language. And he's played this little semantics game masterfully. A Mini Mac is just that. Not a lesser Mac, but its own entity. And since computers have been in the home for so long now, I would be willing to bet that a lot of people have extra keyboards and monitors lurking around, especially since disposing of old computers is so difficult in many areas. My partner is threatening to try to hook up the Mini Mac to the old Kaypro. But we do have a PC monitor that has been gathering dust. We have an extra keyboard. I would not hesitate to say that in the next few months, we'll be welcoming a bouncing (well, I hope not) Mini Mac to the local area network at home.

1 Comments:

Blogger Danny said...

Lisa, I had no idea you swung both ways! I thought everyone at Heinemann was a confirmed PC advocate so I'm thrilled to hear about your secret ilove! We all know that Macs rule despite software developers' irritating habit of forcing inferior versions of their products on us. Shame on Blogger, but maybe they realize that Mac lovers are so confident they don't need all those damn bells and whistles! As for me, je ne parle pas Windows. And you also know HTML code? Who knew that you were such a geek, I am so impressed! Can I have a lesson?

12:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home